Monday, February 22, 2010

Hello. I am Mrs.The Bob Doe...

Lucy And Desi
(photo credit: PicApp Images/Internet/Getty Images)


One of my very favorite shows ever is I Love Lucy. I can watch it over and over. It really doesn't matter that I've seen each episode 500 times. Besides that Lucy and Ethel are one of the funniest duos to ever hit the screen, I love the 1950's. I think I really could have lived back then. I love how they dressed. I love the view of the wife, mother, and homemaker from that era. I love the simplicity and slow pace.

The other day Fep and I had on I Love Lucy, and Lucy and Ethel were introducing themselves to some other ladies. And they introduced themselves as "Mrs. Ricky Ricardo" and "Mrs. Fred Mertz". Fep asked why they said their names that way. She's never heard it before and it was really foreign to her. To be honest, I don't think I have ever introduced myself as "Mrs. The Bob Doe". I don't think I've ever written it out that way for any reason either. Just my name Kat Doe.

I'm thankful that I have a husband to which I can attach my identity. I'm thankful he's honest and moral. A man of integrity. And I found an opportunity to tell him about my conversation with Fep and that I was thankful I can happily be identified as Mrs. The Bob Doe. Part of me is sad for those ladies that don't have that kind of husband. The husband that's not a man of integrity. However, I guess in this day and age it doesn't really matter. Feminism has taken over so that no one introduces themselves or writes their name that way anyway. While I may not say it or write it, I really am Mrs. The Bob Doe. It's so much a part of who I am.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

i love the fifties, too... if it weren't for God knowing exactly where i need to be, i would think i should have been born in a different era. what a great conversation to ahve with Fep. really. i am all for girls being whatever they want to be... but i think they should also know that it is just fine if their dream is to be a mom and wife and homemaker. that was always my dream. always. i think sometimes that dream is looked down upon... and me? i wouldn't trade it for the world :)

Heathahlee said...

I looooove this post! Before Sound Man and I got married I would write "Mrs. Sound Man" all over stuff. Only that was before he was Sound Man. :)

Anonymous said...

So great to hear that you are a happy Mrs. Bob Doe. I, too, and am very happy to be Mrs. Scott DrummerBoy. I am proud that I am a wife and mom. I am thankful that God gives me a desire to be home. I'll even let Scott hold the door open for me. Can you believe it??!?!? Retro is so cool. ;)

Jen said...

I am Mrs Rob Honey bunny, Sweetheart, Hubby!!
I love this post and I am proud to be a MRS.
I remember being a kid never being allowed or even knowing the first names of my friends parents.
It was alway Mr or Mrs Doe....