Every year I expected it. On my birthday, especially on my birthday. On Mother's Day. On Valentine's day. I wanted to be treated and feel like the most special person ever. Ever. And saying that now just sounds so...selfish.
Every year he never expected it. Never. Not on his birthday, not on Father's Day, not on Valentine's Day. He was content and expected little except maybe a card or some small something. But no big day long celebration of him.
But this year, I did it for him. I took the focus off of me and focused on him. His birthday was more than it's been ever, I think. And it wasn't that it took a lot of money or a grand present. It was just little things throughout the course of two days. A table set fancy, confetti, a special text or two at work, his favorite Chinese dinner. It was two days of celebrating him. And he felt so special. I know it cause he told me that night. I gave what I always want. And in the giving I found what I had been looking for all along. I felt loved and special right along with him. And this morning I find these words to be the truest....
“You only have what you give away. All that you’ll ever have is only what you’ve shared”
~ Ann Voskamp
3 comments:
I am the same exact way when it comes to birthdays, Valentine's, etc. This year I plan to change that. I don't want ANYTHING this year...but I've got a little something up my sleeve for my guys. I'll tell you about it when I don't think Sound Man might somehow read it...you know he DOES read your blog every once in a while. : )
Happy late birthday to The Bob! : )
oh-so-true... and actually lovely to be reminded. the joy comes round when you see that light in their eyes over your gift... no matter how big or small :)
Love this! ♡♡♡♡
Happy Valentine's Day to you and yours.
Post a Comment