I had been thinking about her. She's growing so fast...probably only about 5 years now before she's leaving the nest. Five very short, blink of an eye years. I had been thinking about her and how so very much like me she is. Shy. Introverted. And unfortunately...moody. But then I thought about her spirit...tender, soft, moldable. She's so much more than I was at her age. If you took her tender age of almost 13, it took me another 10 years to my life to yield what the Holy Spirit is creating in her. And then I thought, "She's the better part of me." And then life happened and she argued with her brother and had a moody moment and the better part of me seemed to be not so much better.
Days later, she was exerting a bit of a pre-teen, growing pains kind of attitude, and it really got next to me. As her little body is already in puberty, and hormonal changes abound, I thought, "This is crazy. She has got to be close to getting her monthly visitor!" There were tears and a lot of them, but I knew I was right, and I would not be swayed by her pre-teen tantrum. I left her to herself to gather herself and regroup. I went a while later to check on her, and she opened her bedroom door with big eyes that were obviously still wet. I thought to myself, "You have got to be kidding me? Are we still not over this?" And I asked her, "Are you still crying?" And then that better part showed up. In a blubbering mess of her little self she said, "I am so sorry! I am so embarrassed by how ugly I've acted. That's why I've stayed in my room. I've been too embarrassed to come out because of how I acted." I scooped her up with a big hug and a kiss on the head and told her all was forgiven. She's definitely the better part. Definitely. So much more tender to the Holy Spirit, humility, and repentance than I ever thought about being at her age. I wasn't really taught those things though as I didn't grow up in a Christ centered home. But nevertheless, she's me, and she is the better part....
4 comments:
i think that is usually the way it is... that they beome the better parts. still comes with the ugly, too, but somehow Christ teaches them to grasp the good in us.
someone once told me we only have 18 summers... 18? i think i might only have one more. it is good and it hurts all at once.
As I've been told more than once lately, it's your mothering that makes the better part come out. Well, that and the Holy Spirit! : ) But it shows what kind of mother that you are (that has shown her how to humble herself and ask for forgiveness and own that she did something wrong - not that you do stuff wrong but you know what I mean!). I seriously could learn so much from you!
such a beautiful post Kat, I love how this speaks......my little son M shows so much spirit and well 'boy stuff' and yet then there are the quiet moments, the dreaminess, the imagination and the things he says....and I look at him adn think "yep, he is so much more than me"!!! God amazes me daily and I thank Him always for giving me this gift of being a parent to my M, blessings to you, TK xx
First off, let me say thanks for visiting my blog today!
Second, this post brought tears to my eyes! Praise God for tender hearts. What a sweet girl:)
Debbie
Post a Comment