
Let me preface this in that I have not read the books and I have not seen the movie. And let me say that I am not saying I will never read the books and I will never see the movie. Focus on the Family Plugged In gives it decent reviews. And although at some time or some point I may see the movie, I do have the a couple of real struggles I am wrestling through at the moment:
1. This movie opened at midnight. Every movie that comes to mind that opened at midnight has had a dark element to it. Harry Potter. The Dark Knight. Twilight. And from what I know of the book, teens/youth being forced to kill for sport...yes, I'd say it has a dark element to it. When I read the Plugged In review, the conclusion, even in a decent review, made everything sound just so dark. Also please notice and don't miss that those movies listed are all targeted at youth.
2. Again, this movie opened at midnight and it's target audience is youth. So, they stayed up until midnight to go see it and did not get home until late thirty. Did they not have school or responsiblities the next day? They had to be exhausted. Are we that driven by the media? The world? What our friends are doing?
3. It is fantasy fiction. It may have some great moral or end line story to it. And again, I have not seen it or read the books. But I just tend to find fantasy fiction a fine line to walk because so much of it can be dark in nature. Please consider that "just because something is "fictional" in genre does not disqualify it from being enormously persuasive and influential. Even more-so, in fact!" (Cassandra at The Unplugged Family). I think we are numb to the dark tone of things in our culture. And I think it continues to be a downward spiral.
3. It is fantasy fiction. It may have some great moral or end line story to it. And again, I have not seen it or read the books. But I just tend to find fantasy fiction a fine line to walk because so much of it can be dark in nature. Please consider that "just because something is "fictional" in genre does not disqualify it from being enormously persuasive and influential. Even more-so, in fact!" (Cassandra at The Unplugged Family). I think we are numb to the dark tone of things in our culture. And I think it continues to be a downward spiral.
4. I read an article online that a church had taken the book and developed a bible study around it to connect with the youth in their church. Seriously?! Honestly, that just makes me want to run. I have read the critics and that the characters are self less, Christlike in giving their life for another. So we have taken a secular piece of fiction and dressed it up for the church. Media and culture should not have that much influence in the church. The church should be impacting the world and not the world impacting the church.
So, this is what I am wrestling with. Wrestling so much so that I have put this post up, taken it down, and now put it back up. I didn't want to offend anybody, but seriously...who really reads my blog!? And after talking it over with The Bob, I'm putting it back up at his encouragement. I realize that I am absolutely in the minority in my views but need to stand on my convictions.
Also, I have received an email from Cassandra at The Unplugged Family. She will have a post coming out this week on The Hunger Games. I'm sure she will have great insight and has researched it much more than myself. You can find her at the link above or her button in the sidebar.
No comments:
Post a Comment