My Daddy has been gone for over 10 years and just last week the last of his things were brought to me. The last few things of his left at the nursing home. Two boxes. The first box...pictures of his grandchildren which bring immediate tears to my eyes and some laughter too as I shuffle through the photos. The second box...old glasses, scraps of paper, cards. And other pictures. Most of people I didn't know. And that made me sad. Who were these people that loved on my Daddy when I could not and did not?
Ann Voskamp once said that sometimes it seems that life is best lived in reverse. Going through that box is one of those moments. If I could go back, I would have loved on my Daddy more. Even though....even though his alcoholism made him unlovable. But I cannot go back, so I'm left with regret that I know is covered by Grace. Thankful for that Grace. Thank you Jesus.
I am thankful that through forgiveness I can talk to my children about the good things about my Daddy. I don't sugar coat it. They know. They know about the alcoholism and hardship. But they know more, much more, about forgiveness and grace that focuses on the times when he was sober.
No comments:
Post a Comment