Monday, August 23, 2010

This is a repost from June 26, 2009. It is in honor of Taylor who went to be with the Lord yesterday morning at the young age of 14. She fought a hard battle against her cancer, but I guess it wasn't meant for her to win. He had other plans. He wanted her with Him. My thoughts are with her family, and my heart is heavy for her parents....


~Hawaiian Wishes~

In this post, I talked about all that Hawaiian decor Heather and I put out. So, who is going to Hawaii? Me? Noooooo. Not me. Better than that. What could possibly be better than ME going to Hawaii? It's that this young lady is going....


In December our company raised money for charity to sponsor a terminally ill child's wish. With the help of our customers and employees and a local retailer in our area, we were able to raise enough money to grant a wish. The approximate cost of one wish is $7000. And that's what was raised. Even at Christmas when people may already be a bit stressed about money, and even in the down economic times, people gave. And they gave. And they gave. We raised almost $5K of that $7K in a period of just 2 days.

This young lady's wish was to go to Hawaii. She was diagnosed with cancer last year and was given a 35% chance of beating it. With a lot of help from St. Jude Children's Hospital and healing from the Lord, our true Healer, she is now in remission....

Her story is not complete without her Mom. Her Mom has literally battled cancer right along with her child. Two months ago, she underwent a double mastectomy for breast cancer. She came, and I thought she looked lovely. This would be Mom with another one of her children, her son....

I was grateful to be a part of this event. Grateful for our employees who sacrificed a lot of their time to help with the fund raiser. Grateful for people who gave even in tough economic times. Grateful for volunteers who work selflessly behind the scenes....


She and her family will leave for Hawaii on Sunday. ALOHA!!

This post is linked at Emily's Tuesdays Unwrapped
Chatting at the Sky

2 comments:

Dawn said...

oh kat...
i'm so sad for her family, and for the people who loved her... and for you & all who made her wish come true. i'm saying a prayer that all of the happy memories from that night rise to the surface and make you all smile and maybe laugh today.

Heathahlee said...

Crying as I'm typing this...is that what you called me for this morning? I saw on my phone where you called but something distracted me before I could call you back. Praying for the family. How is her mom doing?