Mammer,
How hard it must have been to raise us in the conditions you had to raise us in. The uncertainty of if or when your husband would come home and the condition that he would come home in?...three children to raise...doing it a good bit of time alone. But you did it, and we turned out well, I think. So, thank you.
And just that you know...even though times were so hard...I don't regret anything. There was so much stuff we asked you to do, and you always had to say no because we didn't have the money and Dad's alcoholism made things so very unstable. So, I never got to play basketball and I never got to play the flute in the band. But now as an adult, it doesn't matter a bit and I don't feel like I missed out on a thing. And though my children get to do those things now, sometimes I think the busyness it causes to run to violin or basketball or taekwondo, etc. etc....it makes me think that sometimes saying "No" is the wise decision. So, even though you didn't really have a choice of telling us yes, thank you for saying no.
And even though I didn't really start cooking until I was an adult, I learned so much from just watching. The kitchen truly was and is your domain. Your food, your meals, our times in the kitchen. They are some of our fondest memories. Chocolate pie. Need I say more? Thank you for chocolate pie.
And you never knew that when I went to the district science fair in the 8th grade and I had to go away overnight to do it, I was so glad to get back home. And you were the one to pick me up...in an orange B210 Datsun. Not the coolest car. But that night at that moment I could have cared less. I was just glad to see you and to be going home. So, thank you for coming to pick me up.
And those steno books, I watched as you track bills and such. Making sure the money would somehow work. I know that my love for budgeting surely must come from you! And I know that the money always worked because you did without. Any extra you always spent on us. Thank you for your selflessness in giving to your children.
A few memories for this Mother's Day. Happy Mother's Day, Mammer. I love you.
~Kathy

1 comment:
how beautifully poingnant..
lovely memories..
so cherished!!
hugs..
Loui♥
Post a Comment