Saturday, November 14, 2009

Five Days to Frugal / Day 1...Consider what you give

As goes with many people these days, we enter the ranks of those feeling the tight economy of the past year. "They" say were coming out of it. I gotta tell ya, not sure that we're seeing that yet. The Bob runs our very own little plumbing business. He works very hard. Very. About 3 months ago, we had to cut our pay. The cut was deeper than we originally intended...or wanted. But we decided it would be more wise to live on less now before things just snowballed and got really ugly. And hopefully, to prevent things from getting really ugly. I'm happy to say, we've not entered ugly yet. So, here we are living on less, and I am reminded of how easy it is to feel the pull of stuff. The pull of luxuries. The pull of comforts. I feel it almost daily. However, I am seeing the frugal side of me really work. Most of the time I'm just a frugal wannabe, but the next five posts will be how I'm working me some frugal.

So, we cut our pay. However, last time I checked we didn't have to worry about where our grocery money was coming from or if we were going to be able to pay our light bill or mortgage. Really. Don't feel sorry for me. Because so far, we've just had to give up comforts. Comforts, I like saying that word. It just sounds so fuzzy, cozy, and warm. But there are those, who do worry about those things...the mortgage, the light bill. They are worried about their next meal. They are worried if they will make their next mortgage payment. Or maybe with Christmas fast approaching, they are sad that they can't get their children just a little something. Maybe sometimes being frugal is giving? Usually when money is tight, giving is the first thing slashed. Deny yourself some comforts so that you can give something to someone who has nothing.

The child that receives this box will probably fall into the nothing category. I found it interesting that the list suggestions Samaritan's Purse (run by Franklin Graham) gave with the boxes included basic things like toothpaste, toothbrush, and soap. To be honest, if I gave my children toothpaste for Christmas, they would look at me like I had grown two heads. But that in part would be that they've never had to do without toothpaste, I suppose....

All this to say...if you, too, are finding yourself plunged deep into the difficult financial downturn these days...if you are feeling the pinch and the pinch is painful, but you are not worried about your mortgage or food on the table.... if at all possible, don't stop giving....don't stop giving unto the LORD. Don't deny Him what's rightfully His.

"For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

2 comments:

Daisy said...

Incredible post. I'm going to link to it on my blog.

Jen said...

Awesome - Beautifully said!
We are shoe box shopping this week - That's the only time my husband never complains about shopping.