Thursday, November 19, 2009

Five Days to Frugal / Day 5...Deny yourself.

Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Do without

Denying myself is something I'm working through. I have to really consider what I'm doing these days, and I don't always enjoy it either. Is it a want or a need? I want a new comforter for my bed...I don't need a new comforter. I want some new tennis shoes...I don't need new tennis shoes. And I have to say here, I have had my tennis shoes for over two years, and they were never shoes I just loved when I bought them. I kind of just settled. And those tennis shoes will. not. wear. out. They are like the Energizer Bunny tennis shoes. I think I may even be buried in them. And right now, even though I've worn them, and worn them, and worn them, I cannot justify buying new shoes that aren't needed. Anyway, I could go on and on about my wants verses needs, but I think you get the picture.

I really think this whole denying yourself is so foreign to our culture today, too. I hear all the time in the media and I've even heard friends say it, "You deserve it!" Okay. Let me tell you what I really deserve.

I end my frugal post here. Consider your giving, consider your habits, consider your food and clothing. And deny yourself and learn to be content. That's worth repeating...Be content. Remember Paul...he new what it was to live in plenty and to live in want, yet he was content. Let the Lord be the source of your joy and your blessings. When He gives, you will overflow.

1 comment:

Heathahlee said...

How much has the Lord convicted me of this the past few days? Just like that nurse said when Fep was born, "Babies ah fulla self!" Well, so am I. I hate it. Bleh. But the Lord is so sweet to me and instead of beating me up about it He is gently reminding me of how to have contentment...not that I listen all the time and don't have pity parties every once in a while, but there are moments when it does sink in...

These posts have been so good, Kat.