Saturday, August 29, 2009

Heavy, Busy, Yogi, and the Veterans

How's that for a title?

I haven't posted much here or commented much at your place because there are just some heavy issues in my life right now, and I've started school with my children again. School keeps us veeeeeeeeery busy. Very. We are three weeks into this school year, and I am so very pleased at how things are going.

Last weekend we went camping with some friends to Yogi on the Lake, a Jellystone Park located in Pelahatchie, Mississippi...



There was so much to do there...During the summer, they have a theme for each weekend. The theme for the weekend we were there was "Honoring our Heroes" And that morning as Yogi met everyone at the flagpole, they brought out policemen, firemen, military, and veterans. When I saw these gentlemen, I got rather caught up in the moment. I must say I even became a bit verklempt, and hoped that nobody saw me wiping tears, because who cries at a Yogi Park?


When I looked at these gentlemen, I wondered about their story. I'm sure they were born during a Depression and have lived through many wars. Obviously they served our country, too. Perhaps, even during wartime. This generation never fails to touch my heart. I think they are some of the greatest Americans to ever live.

3 comments:

Heathahlee said...

I get the same way every. single. time. the National Anthem is sung. Redbirds games, watching the Superbowl, Tigers games, it doesn't matter. And the year Kiddo and I sang for the Upwards Soccer opening day, it was all I could do to keep from crying. You should have heard that little boy sing! : )

It looks like y'all had fun!

Dawn said...

i have been missing you, kat... and i hope that things are going okay :) i'm sending a prayer your way that the heaviness will be lightened.

your camping trip looks like such fun! i am starting to think aboutb ooking a few camping weekends now that the cooler weather might be just 2 months away!!

i understand just how you feel... standing at that flag pole. one of my favorite times is the silence that comes just after the announcement to stand for the national anthem and just before the first notes begin. (and the tears are usually fowing by the time we hit "the land of the free"!)

love ya!

Jen said...

You guys are really getting into the camping scence! :)
Great post-great heroes!!