Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Five Days to Frugal / Day 4...Consider what you wear...


I really should have ironed that shirt before I took the picture. Oh well. That is Moose's shirt, and the only reason he has a Ralph Lauren Polo is that it came from...Goodwill. When ironed it looks brand new. I also snagged another one up the same day I bought this one. Goodwill, in my area anyway, is very hit and miss. But when you hit, it's usually like striking gold as with this shirt and the other things I've bought there.

One of my favorite movies is Love Comes Softly. There is a scene in which Missy asks Marty why she has so many dresses because you can only wear one at a time. The Bob commented recently that we all really have conservative wardrobes...as in our closets don't overflow. So much so in fact that when we go somewhere for several days, I'm usually really scraping to pull stuff together for us to wear. But the other 99% of the time, we are good so it's really okay. Moose only has one pair of nice pants. One. That's all he really needs. The only place he needs them for is church or another function in which you'd dress nice (funeral, wedding, etc.) So, that one pair of pants gets worn every single Sunday. Do you think people notice that he wears the same pair of pants every Sunday? I dare say they don't. He has two or three shirts to wear with them, so change the shirt and you've changed the whole outfit. In order to get the most out of what I buy for the children to wear, I try to buy a smidgen on the large side. That way they worn for more than one year, hopefully....unless someone has a growing spurt or something. That's another reason not to have too many pieces for your children...they outgrow them so fast!

My final frugal clothing thought is that not only do we have a conservative number of items in our closet, but they are also conservative in style. Trendy is for the moment, conservative wears well after the moment has passed =)

2 comments:

Jen said...

Hi Kat
I enjoyed your Frugal posts - good stuff.
Using cash is a tough one though, because I need the sky miles. ;) but, it's paid in full every month-no credit card balance here.
Eating out is ridiulou$ we were just talking about it. We could easily have 4-5 meals at home for the price of one. But, it is nice to do once in awhile.

Heathahlee said...

You know I love me a bahgain! You go girl, scoring Polo at Goodwill!