I was at Jessica's blog today, and she made the comment that sometimes being frugal isn't necessarily being cheap. Sometimes it's getting the best quality for the least amount of money. I thought that was a good point to make. You can see that post here. It's her ideas for a frugal Thanksgiving. And on the subject of Thanksgiving and food, since the pay cut, I do consider what we eat. So, once a week we have a bean meal. Does my family love it? No. Does my budget? Yes.
The Bob and the kids just tolerate my bean meals, but I actually like a good bean meal. My bean meals are not fancy: northern beans and corn dodgers (found in a Little House on the Prairie cookbook), pintos and corn dodgers, or black beans and rice with you guessed it....corn dodgers. I like saying corn dodgers. Doesn't it sound like fun food? Anyway, you can see the black bean and rice meal if you click on recipe under labels in the right side bar.
In addition to beans, we've taken away some junk food which is not only good for the budget, but good for your health. We went from drinking Cokes almost daily to mostly on the weekends. I buy about 2 2-liters a week, and when they are gone that's it. We also quit buying cookies and such. If we have a sweet treat, usually it's something that I have to make.
As I mentioned in my previous post, we've also started eating more left overs and trying to not waste so much. Frugality is not only considering cost, but about being a wise steward with what the Lord has given us.
2 comments:
We love soup around here so our "once a week" cheap meal is usually a vegetarian soup of some kind. The kids call it kitchen sink soup because it has just about everything except for the kitchen sink. LOL.
We love beans! We eat a lot of burritoes. Pintos are big around here. Easy to cook all day and throw into a burrito with salsa & cheese. Yummy!
I WISH we ate more beans. You know Sound Man won't eat pinto beans, much to my dismay. I looooove pinto beans and corn bread. He does like northern beans and cornbread, though. He may have to be forced to start "liking" beans, though! Maybe I can convince him and Kiddo that the entertainment value far exceeds their dislike. Did I say that? Oh, yes I did! : )
Post a Comment