Monday, July 6, 2009

Camping Memories

Our first camping trip is under our belt. It started with a few mishaps, but we recovered and regrouped quickly. We forgot the key to the camper, our dog ran off, and the water heater on the camper was leaking. However, The Bob in his wisdom said, "Let's camp somewhere close for the first time." Our campground was only 20 minutes from home. So, we came back home and got the key, found our dog and brought her back home, and he fixed the water heater.


And what did we do for the past three days? We about rode the tires off our bikes. I have not ridden my bike like that since I was 11 years old. Memories of summers spent peddling my bike flooded my memory. I loved it. I loved every single minute of it, and I can't even express how much. Also, our kids swam in a lake for the first time ever. We played basketball. Played at a playground. Made new friends....my particular favorite was was another camper's dog...Buster the Basset Hound. Watched a raccoon as he contemplated what a fellow camper might leave him for a tasty snack. And we ate....I ate the most....lots of cake....and the scale showed it this morning. Don't even ask. We left cup cakes out at night to see if the raccoons would see them as tasty....and they did. I ate a lot of cake, but I did share it with nature, too. I'm nice that way.



I am sad that I don't have any pictures to share. I was so caught up in the fun of nothing to do that I didn't take any pictures. But I remember. The images are etched in my mind. I remember the smell of the trees as I peddled my bike through them in the morning...and afternoon. I remember the only sounds to be heard at night were the locusts singing. And I remember the joy of my children when we arrived at the campground and their dismay when it was time to go. But we'll go back, and we are already thinking of how soon that will be........


This post is linked at Tuesdays Unwrapped:

Chatting at the Sky

10 comments:

HSingMama said...

Sounds like y'all had a really good time and made some great memories.

We got new bikes for Christmas...the whole family. We love to go riding together in our neighborhood. Lots of trees and we're close to water. We'd love to start camping out and take our bikes to explore some of our national parks...some historical places.

Dawn said...

kat, it sounds heavenly! playing like a kid... riding your bike for hours... a memory to tuck away for a rainy day, to be sure. i'm glad you have looked on the bright side of not having your camera... i suppose it helps us really breathe it all in and save it close to our heart.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful experience! It is good to be so busy loving life that you don't have time to take pictures! :)

Melissa said...

what a great time. and i'm glad you were only 20 min. away!!! that's a smart hubby you got!

Amy said...

We started camping for the first time last summer. Our first trip was not so close to home and it should have been. Lots of laughter and lessons learned. We didn't camp as kids so this is a new and different experience for all of us. The memories we are making are priceless.

Unknown said...

there is something bigger than all our "house " living , under the stars, in the light that comes down through the leaves and warms the path to the lake...

glad for you in this grace

although we never did brave it with 5 kiddos... :(
did the cottage thing

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Sounds like a fun trip! We haven't braved camping yet with our children, so my hat is off to you!

~ Sarah

Heathahlee said...

That sounds like so. much. fun. I wish I had a bike. I have wanted one for several years but there's always been something else more important to get. Maybe next year. I hope Dixie Dog is okay. Or was it Rupert?

Daisy said...

Our family loves bike riding!

Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Jen said...

Sounds good.
Pop a tent in the back yard; that's what my husband and son did from time to time. :)
and then there was....do we have an extention cord long enough to.....ha.