Thursday, March 26, 2009

Happy Birthday, Granny!

Granny is bottom row, center in this picture. She is surrounded by her sisters...I love this picture. It's one of my favorites. Granny is not really my Granny but my mother-in-law. I call her Granny, because that's what my children call her, and because it fits. Yesterday was Granny's birthday. She turned 83.

Granny was raised during The Great Depression, and The Bob and I like her to tell us the stories of life back then. She grew up one of 9 children, was extremely poor, picked cotton from can to can't, and was only schooled until the 4th grade. She married The Bob's Dad in her early 20's. He worked at a steel factory for about 40 years, and retired in his early 60's due to health issues. He only made about $10 per hour at retirement...and that was in the mid 1990's. With such a meager salary they were still able to send their two boys to private school, not accumulate any debt paying cash for everything, and build a small little nest egg of savings. Granny could give lessons in being frugal. She is one of the most content women I know. She has little and wants for nothing. Material possessions do not impress her.

Granny is quite the character. She doesn't meet a stranger and will talk your ears off if you give her the chance. Sometimes you've not a clue as to who or what she's talking about. But that's okay. You just have to smile and nod your head every now and then. She loves to go dancing. Let me repeat that. She LOVES to go dancing. When she meets you, one of the first things she will probably ask is if you like to dance.

Yesterday was Granny's birthday, and she is 83 years young.

2 comments:

Debra said...

Isn't it wonderful to have a living history book in your family? All of you are truly blessed to have your Granny.

Heathahlee said...

I love that picture. Is Sherrylynn's grandmother in it? I love to see pictures of people I've known only since they've been older, like this one of Granny. I have my favorite ones of Momma, too.