Monday, March 2, 2009

Remembering Beth

I rarely watch Extreme Make Over Home Edition, but last night I watched it. The new home was for a woman who had a child born prematurely which inspired her to take photographs, really nice artistic type photographs, for people who had preemies. She would spend the day with some people capturing some beautiful pictures of the parents and their child. The children may not always live. There was a mother they interviewed whose child only lived that one day. She talked about how important those pictures were to her because they were proof of that baby's life. They were a physical reminder for not just for the mother but also the world. I cried the whole hour I watched that show. The whole hour.

On Mother's Day 2003, I lost the baby in my womb at 6 months of pregnancy. Heathahlee and I were recently talking about my baby, Beth. I told her I learned that some people view loosing a baby at any point in pregnancy a "miscarriage". Some people will tell you really foolish things like "It was for the best." Some people will even dismiss your pain because the baby was never alive outside your womb. The world, most of my friends, and some family, have moved on. They never think about Beth. They never talk about Beth. But a mother's heart never, never forgets. And not only can my heart not forget, but I have a very special physical reminder in that I have pictures. I have photographs. They are photos done at the hospital...the type that they do with all newborns. I received them in the mail weeks after loosing Beth. The hospital was very tender in my loss. Unless the parent puts on a special outfit for the baby, most newborn photos are done in those "nice" hospital gowns. To my surprise when I received my pictures, the hospital had put Beth in a pretty little white smocked dress. They treated her with all the dignity and specialness that her little life deserved.

At my husband's request, I have not used my family's names on this blog but only our nicknames that we actually go by. But in this situation, I can give my third child's name. I am pleased to do so...
Elizabeth Reagan Stewart
May 2003

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I should have waited to get home to read this. Tears are flowing. Watching you and the Bob during that time was a lesson in life. You guys are awesome friends. Thanks for reminding us of Beth.

Heathahlee said...

I thought about y'all all during the show. And cried through most of it. I just kept thinking about your pictures of Beth and how priceless that is.

And, just think, she is already playing with Jesus RIGHT NOW! Oh, how happy she'll be to see you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kat. I'm so glad you posted on my blog so that I can now follow you again. Thanks so much for leaving such sweet words. I'm so sorry for your lost. My sweet friend and church sis lost her daughter (still born) this past year and we speak of her today just as she was born and lived among us. She IS living among us as we remember her although she is with our Lord. This was such a beautiful post. You are beautiful inside and out.

Blessings

ByHISgoodGrace said...

Thank you for your words. You are right, a mother's heart never forgets. I have often felt overdramatic for the pain that I have suffered or feel that I bring it up too much. Your words here have given me permission to be OK with remembering. Thank you so much for that. I am so sorry for your loss. How wonderful that the hospital staff gave you that precious gift.