Because I have nothing to post, I am going to link you to a post that touched my heart...very much. It is from Jen at Balancing Bedlam and Beauty and it's about a simple outing of blueberry picking with her children. The reason this touched my heart is that lately I've been thinking I don't play with my children anymore. I feed them, teach them, train them, move them like cattle. But when was the last time I *played* with them? Knowing that the days are passing quickly, and my babies are growing too quickly for a momma's heart, I've been thinking I should play with them more. Enjoy them more. Love on them more. When do we love our children? When we feed them? Yes. When we teach them? Yes. When we move them like cattle? Probably not so much. But I know they *feel loved* when I stop and take time with them and play. I am ashamed to say that until Monday I could not remember the last time, I spent time playing. So then I stumbled across Jen's old post, and it brought tears to my eyes both times I read it. Why? Because I know I wouldn't have danced in the rain. I absolutely know it. And I would have missed a beautiful opportunity of hearing my child say, "Mom, I am never going to forget this day." It makes me cry even as I type the words. Note that this is a two part post and the beginning is about window treatments, so scroll down just a bit: http://inpassionatepursuit.blogspot.com/2008/07/when-it-rains-it-pours.html
May I dance in the rain my next opportunity...
4 comments:
I have always heard the saying to stop and smell the roses, but how true it is. One of my best memories is when we were children and outside with mom and dad doing yard work. All of a sudden dad started chasing mom with the water hose and she was running, squealing at him to not get her hair wet. We thought that was the funniest thing ever. Of course we all ended up soaked, but what a memory. Taking the time to play is what all children need from time to time, even the grownup children. So, Kathy, take the time and treasure every moment. Debra
After the day Kiddo and I have had it's hard to think about playing with him! But I know that he IS a nine year-old boy, and playing with him would make a big difference every once in a while!
that was one of the best days...I have another one that just happened as well. I'll be posting it soon. :)
Oh they do grow fast. It is hard to play with a 20 & 16 year old. For Easter we all got kites. At first they thought it was so silly, but before I had one together, they were ripping them open. They had so much fun running around to get them to fly!! Do be so hard on yourself life can be so busy and you just get worn out.
Post a Comment