Friday, April 24, 2009

No Security Blanket Needed

I'm here!! I made my flight from Memphis to Phoenix today. I've mentioned I hate flying, right? Not only do I hate flying, but I hate going across the country and leaving my family behind. The Bob and the children stayed in good ole Mississippi as we just couldn't afford to fly everybody out. So, not only did I have to fly which I already don't like, but I had to fly a-l-o-n-e. For those who read this and might not know me, I do not like to leave my nest. Ask Heathahlee. When we went to Nashville recently, I made her drive the whole entire time we were there. I just hate not knowing where I'm going in a strange and foreign land.

As I've been getting ready to go the last couple of days, I've been thinking how I hated I wouldn't have The Bob with me on this trip. He's who I lean on at times like this, and he calms me. He's a great security blanket. And I've felt like a little kid having to go off alone, so I reeeeeeeally wanted my security blanket. This morning I was almost ready to walk out the door, and I thought I'd have a quick conversation with God. So I prayed for safety, and protection, and all that good stuff. And then I said, "And Lord, help me be a big girl." And at that time the Holy Spirit reminded me that I didn't have to be a big girl. He was my Father and I was his child. He would hold my hand. So with that, out the door I went. When I was waiting on the plane for take off, I was still a bit anxious, so I thought I'd get out a devotional that I've been going through the past year. I read my little daily devotion, and a few minutes later I looked up the additional scripture that went with the devotion. It was Philippians 4:4-8. I'll quote what completely calmed me, and has had me cool as a cucumber ever since. "...The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." And with that I was reminded that he was, indeed, holding my hand just as He had promised. With the Father holding my hand, I didn't need anything else and Peace was mine.

{This post is linked at Emily's Tuesdays Unwrapped }

Also, don't miss Daisy's first ever giveaway. If you don't know about it, scroll just a smidge to the previous post.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kat! I know just how you feel about leaving home and being away from the nest. I too hate to fly and would rather take a good beatin'. Im glad that you found comfort in God and made it! I had to giggle about that comment too. Poofing hair. Melissa is oh too funny. I do find time to get myself in too much trouble with paint.hehe. Enjoy the wedding~

emily freeman said...

I love this, Kat. God does not ask us to be big girls, but to be His girls. Thank you for pointing that out and for linking up!

Crissie said...

What gorgeous scripture! That really touched my heart tonight...

I LOVE that you call your husband "The Bob". How funny!!!! I can absolutely relate to him being your security blanket. Isn't that one of the blessings of marriage? I can't stand to be without my binky-boy either. It just feels as if part of me is missing...

Thanks for sharing!

xoxoxox