As a Christian family, we try to look beyond the bunny and the egg at Easter. We do let our children color eggs, and we have had egg hunts, but that is not our focus during this holiday. We make the focus on Christ and His sacrifice. Is there anything more sacred? No.
A couple of years ago, on the evening before Good Friday, The Bob was talking to the children about Jesus and His sacrifice. And he made the comment that the next day, Good Friday, they should pay attention to when it turned 3:00 as that is the time indicated Jesus gave up His life. The next day was busy, and we were at the grocery store. We were in the check out line, and I just happened to notice in check out that it was almost 3:00, so I mentioned that to the children. When it was my time to check out, our cashier, stressed, harried, and frazzled, said something to the effect of, "Isn't today supposed to be Good Friday? I don't know what's so good about today?" I was taken back a bit. No, I was very taken. Everything in me wanted to testify to Jesus and why it IS Good Friday. But I didn't. I didn't say anything. Why? Fear and cowardice. As soon as we left the store, Fep mentioned the lady's comment and how awful and sad it was. And I had to confess to her, that I should have said something but didn't. I've asked the Lord's forgiveness for my silence, but still two to three years later, I still remember that lady and my missed opportunity. May I not miss another.....
(The sixth hour to the ninth hour is from noon until 3:00 PM)
"Now from the sixth hour to the ninth hour there was darkness over all the land. And about the ninth hour Jesus cried, out with a loud voice saying, "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?" that is, "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?"......Jesus, when He had cried out again with a loud voice, yielded up His spirit." Matthew 27:45-46, 50
2 comments:
Very thought provoking. I know I've missed many opportunities, too. I've been sheepishly asking the Lord for more chances. I say sheepishly because I'm afraid I won't follow through when He provides the moment.
Amen! Sad to say, I have done that before as well. Lord, give us a bold spirit with wisdom and discernment..is my prayer.
Happy Resurrection Day!
Oh, we simply follow MFWs lesson plans as for as schedules. My 11 and 9 year olds are usually finished with their school work in 4 hours. I'm sure you know this but MFW is very open and go. I love that while working and teaching multiples. ;)
Post a Comment