Monday, April 20, 2009

Yeah. I'm one of those people.

I homeschool. I'm one of those people.

One evening several days ago, I had someone approach me and say, "So, you're one of those people that homeschools......" I thought, "Oh boy. Here we go." Actually, he turned out to be very friendly, but not all conversations concerning homeschooling end that way. Why is it that homeschoolers more often than public schoolers or private schoolers have to defend or explain their reasons for their choice of education for their children? Really. Why is that? I live in a community that is filled with homeschoolers, so much so in fact, that when I meet people who public or private school that seem fascinated or even disturbed that I homeschool, I find it odd. Really. Why is homeschooling so fascinating? Why is it disturbing? Homeschooling is not for the faint of heart. It is a HUGE responsibility, and it involves a lot of sacrifice. So, why I'm often labeled "one of those people" I just don't get it?

3 comments:

Heathahlee said...

I've always wanted to ask you that same question. You weirdo.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! It's 1:40 a.m. and I am totally amusing myself. I gotta go to bed. Because I'm "one of those people who homeshcools", too, and even though I can sleep past "normal" public school time, starting at noon is not conducive to a very productive day. :P

Heathahlee said...

I'm serious, I'm totally laughing at the fact I called my bff a weirdo!!! AAAAHHHH!!!

Kat said...

Takes a weirdo to know a wierdo ;)