Thursday, April 30, 2009

Bird Nerds...

I follow a lot of home decor blogs that have bird theme attached to them. Nester is huge on this. Even her blog name is birdy. But this post is not about home decor. It's about my family's love for REAL birds. We like to go...BIRD WATCHING. I think it to be a lost art in today's high tech society. Now. You've got to get those pictures of Jane Hathaway from The Beverly Hillbillies out of your head. We're not that nerdy. We look like this.... It started with Fep in the 4th grade. We homeschool and last year A Beka's 4th grade science had a bird study mixed in. Fep loved it. So between that and the encouragement of fellow bird nerd Aunt Heathahlee, Fep was destined to become a young bird nerd. I think she can just about out identify her Aunt Heathahlee. She can also track sounds, knows much more than I do, and is constantly trying to get picturesof her fine feathered friends.

People and friends, other than Heathahlee, don't understand our love for one of God's little beauties. When is the last time you stopped to admire them?
Summer Tanager (not to be confused with a cardinal)...

(taken by me at our house)

Painted Bunting...
(taken by Fep's bird friend, Mr. Jeff)

Rose Breasted Grossbeak...

(taken by Heathahlee, aka The Bird Whisperer)

There are so many other birds. So many. Grab your binoculars and get out there and enjoy these beautiful little creations.

5 comments:

Daisy said...

Hey, we are bird nerds, too!! How exciting. We love to go looking for new friends. I don't have a decent digital camera though.

Kids and adults alike are amazed that my children know the names of our local birds but what is life without being able to actually identify and connect with the nature around us.

LOL. Course I'm sounding like today's blog post which you already read.

I love your bird pix!

Made In The South said...

I love watching the birds while sitting on the porch. But I have never had one land in my hand...

Heathahlee said...

Don't let that last picture fool you...for those of you who may think that I coaxed that bird into my hand, let me say that that poor grosbeak was so out of it from hitting my window and scaring the snot out of me he couldn't tell which way was up. I will be posting about the event in a few days.

You made me LOL with "the bird whisperer"!

And I'm SOOOOOO jealous of that picture of the painted bunting! That's like, my holy grail of birds!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I never knew Heathalee was such a bird woman. I think it's cool to be a bird nerd! I love the picture of you and your sis. Y'all are both just as pretty as they come!

HSingMama said...

Love the bird photos. We've recently moved to a neighborhood with lots of trees. We're excited to see different varieties of birds. I need a new field guide though. Been looking at the Peterson Field Guides. What do you use?

Thanks for your comments on my blog. :o)