Friday, June 26, 2009

Hawaiian Wishes

In this post, I talked about all that Hawaiian decor Heather and I put out. So, who is going to Hawaii? Me? Noooooo. Not me. Better than that. What could possibly be better than ME going to Hawaii? It's that this young lady is going....







In December our company raised money for charity to sponsor a terminally ill child's wish. With the help of our customers and employees and a local retailer in our area, we were able to raise enough money to grant a wish. The approximate cost of one wish is $7000. And that's what was raised. Even at Christmas when people may already be a bit stressed about money, and even in the down economic times, people gave. And they gave. And they gave. We raised almost $5K of that $7K in a period of just 2 days.

This young lady's wish was to go to Hawaii. She was diagnosed with cancer last year and was given a 35% chance of beating it. With a lot of help from St. Jude Children's Hospital and healing from the Lord, our true Healer, she is now in remission....

Her story is not complete without her Mom. Her Mom has literally battled cancer right along with her child. Two months ago, she underwent a double mastectomy for breast cancer. She came, and I thought she looked lovely. This would be Mom with another one of her children, her son....

I was grateful to be a part of this event. Grateful for our employees who sacrificed a lot of their time to help with the fund raiser. Grateful for people who gave even in tough economic times. Grateful for volunteers who work selflessly behind the scenes....


She and her family will leave for Hawaii on Sunday. ALOHA!!

This post is linked at Emily's Tuesdays Unwrapped
Chatting at the Sky

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your sweet heart never fails to amazzzzze me! Kit Im am just covered in goosbump and tears reading this. I will be keeping this family close to heart and prayer. Awwww you sweet thing you~

Heathahlee said...

I kept forgetting to ask...did she know she was getting to go? Or was it a surprise?

I'm so glad I got to help you a little bit. I wish we could have come. : (

Jen said...

WOW! Blessings to her and her family for a safe and wonderful trip and continued good health news.

Dawn said...

alo-ha! waht an amazing fit... not just the going to hawaii part... not just making her wish come true... but all of it. and being a part of it. i bet that this experience will stay a part of your heart... forever.

Unknown said...

oh, a few morning tears now, but feeling blessed to know so many good souls live and give.
Yours too.
Thank you

ByHISgoodGrace said...

That is just a WOW moment. That is such an amazing gift and the joy that a group of you worked together towards that gift must be so fulfilling.

Heather of the EO said...

What a beautiful thing!!!

This. Is what life is all about.

Lovely post!

Anonymous said...

This is so wonderful. Thank you for sharing it with us. :)

Phoebe @ GettingFreedom said...

Uh-Mazing--that is what that is! What a great story!! It brought tears to my eyes, goosebumps all over my body, and left me with a joy filled heart. You are an awesome person with a great heart.

Thank you for sharing such an amazing story. I will keep this family in my prayers.