Tuesday, June 30, 2009

An Unlikely Friendship

Fep likes birds. I'm not sure if it's normal for a 10 year old, almost 11, to like birds as much as she does. The Bob calls her our Jane Hathaway.

There is a man who The Bob met through work that is a serious bird watcher. He goes out every weekend and has for years and years and years. He is 70 years old, and Mr. Jeff is his name. Fep and The Bob have gotten to go on a couple of bird excursions with Mr. Jeff, and he has been able to show her birds that we'd never find in our back yard. Can we say Painted Bunting?

Over the past month, Fep has taken to the computer. Not to play games on the computer...okay well maybe she does do that, too...she is still a normal 11 year old even though her passion for birds isn't normal for an 11 year old...she gets on the computer to email, Mr. Jeff. Not her best little girlfriends. Not her family. She emails back and forth with a 70 year old man. They talk about all their bird finds and stories, and she asks him questions. Lots of questions. And Mr. Jeff is so kind that he takes the time to correspond back and forth with her. I was thinking the other day what a lovely and unexpected friendship. Not many children today gives a hoot (get it? Hoot...Owl....Bird. hee hee) about our elders and the wisdom they hold. And there are those elders who are just annoyed by youth. But Fep and Mr. Jeff, I think, have found something special....an unlikely friendship.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Boy would I love to see a Painted Bunting! what's his #. ha!

This is wonderful that Fep has taken such an intrest in birds and respects the wisdom of an older teacher.

I'll have a little video for her tomorrow. ;)

Dawn said...

wow... i think we need to set up a date between your daughter & my son! a bird watching date, not a "date" date! our audubon society has a young birder club and cam & i have so much fun! kind of "our" time, just because he is such a bird lover!

Heathahlee said...

That is so sweet! She has no idea what her emails mean to him, I'm sure. I bet he sees her as a sweet blessing!

Jen said...

Sorry you can't view the video...
:(
it's real quick of a hummingbird at the feeder is all.