
I had a blog a year ago that I deleted, and on that blog, I had a post about The Woobie. See The Woobie pictured above. Before I deleted the other blog, I printed off two posts that were meaningful to me. The Woobie was one of those posts. I am going to repost that old post and then share my thoughts on The Woobie one year later...
The Woobie
Sitting on my couch is a piled up crocheted blanket called "The Woobie". It belongs to Moose, and he has carried it since he was a little baby. The Woobie is multi-purpose really. It's his trusty blanket, or its Spiderman's web when all stretched out and thrown across the room. When he was a baby, he would pick at the yarn and eat it. Odd, I know. Moose will turn 7 in just a few days. He's really getting too old for The Woobie. But I know soon enough, he'll sleep with his Woobie one last time. And gone will be the last visible, tangible reminder of him being a baby. The pacifier is gone, the bottles are gone, and thank goodness, the diapers are gone. But I must say, I will be sad to see The Woobie go.
So, that's it. Just as it was written one year ago with the same picture at the top of the post. Moose turned 8 this past Friday, and he still has The Woobie. When I posted that a year ago, I just knew somewhere between 7 and 8 that he'd give up The Woobie. Nope. He doesn't even act interested. Fep is starting to get almost repulsed by the fact he's a blanket toting 8 year old. She's telling him that kids are going to start making fun of him. Fep, she's so tenderhearted toward Moose. A year ago, I was going to be sad to see The Woobie go. Now, I just think it's time. My 8 year old is obviously not a baby anymore, and try as I might, I can't keep them babies forever...except in my heart. And I do think it's time for The Woobie to go, but I'm not forcing it either. I'm not going to be the one who strips him of it. Fep, maybe. Sooner or later, The Woobie will be gone (at this point it's looking like later), and sooner or later my babies, my children will be grown up and gone, too. I know it's going to be sooner than later. And those are the thoughts that makes a mamma's heart ache.
3 comments:
Oh Kat! We have a blankie here at our house too. No..it would not be Maddys cause she is 8. It's Kaylee and she is going on 17. I too, like you, thought every year would be the last for the blankie. Wrong. I once thought after the silk edges started to come loose she would bid it farwell. Nope. She had my Mom sew it back together. She no longer packs it for over night stays but send her to camp or Walt Disney and you can bet it's tucked deep inside that carry on. I even snipped some of the silk edge off while my Mom was mending it. I will have it added to her flowers on her wedding day..hehe. Life is so harsh sometimes and what a comfort it is to know that that soft blankie is just waiting at home to be loved on. One day she will leave that lovie behind for new comforts but till that day....Lovie sleeps under her pillow~
I love the fact that he still has The Woobie. He's such a sweet kid. I know I say that all the time, but he is!
And Susie's comment almost made me cry! I love that she's going to put part of Kaylee's blanket in her wedding bouquet.
oh this is sweet... both posts! and i think it is hard with boys... that they are expected to give up something like this as they get older. girls can carry their stuffed animals to college... but a boy? maybe not. my 12 year old son has a menagerie of animals covering his bed... and i don't see them being hidden aways any time soon... which is just fine with me... cause i love to snuggle in there with them and just grab one more moment of little boyness... lest he decides that tomorrow is the day to pack 'em all up.
Post a Comment