Friday, June 5, 2009

Good Blogging Finds #1

I'm just putting out here some new blogging finds (because I need to spend more time in the blogging world!) and how they relate to me.

First up is Amy at Momadvice.com/blog in which she did this:


In February (I know that's 3 months ago...I just found it this week), she posted her adventures in spending absolutely nothing except what it took to live. Food (not fast food - that is a luxury) and gas for the car. That's it. No trip through McDonald's or Starbucks. No materials and items for craft projects. No movies, CDs, or books. Food and gas, People. Why does this speak to me? One, we eat out waaaaaay too much. My children and I hit a fast food restaurant at least once a week. I figure that averages out to about $75 per month....on a stinkin' Big Mac! Or in my case a Fresco Bean Burrito from Taco Bell. And the second way it spoke to me was that we don't need nearly what we think we do and impulse purchases are a downfall for me! There, I said it. I cave to the occasional kitchen or house item, the pack of gum for my children (sugar free mind you), or an item of clothing even though my laundry tells me that we all have plenty of clothes. One clothing item in particular....flip flops. I adore flip flops. Cute, little Yellow Box flip flops are my favorite. But I'll take Target, Payless, and Walmart, too. This year The Bob put us on a "No Flip Flop Purchase Summer". Why? One, he can't stand them, and thinks one pair is plenty. Two, shouldn't one pair be plenty? I still have flip flops in really good shape from last year, so I absolutely don't need any. At all. Nope, I don't. But oh, I waaaaaant some. I torture myself by looking at them in stores any chance I get. I have to tell you it's killing me. So, if I end up missing or dead, it's from flip flop deprivation.

If you have a chance, check out her posts on this. It will open your eyes, too, I'm sure to areas of your spending that could be improved.

2 comments:

Heathahlee said...

I saw where Kimba posted about her, but I haven't had the chance to read up yet.

This posts totally convicts me seeing as how I just spent $25 at Old Time Pottery. Sheesh. But it was on stuff I know will beautify my home, so I'm okay with it. All stuff I had been wanting to pick up, except for one $.50 item, and it will look SO pretty with my autumn decorations (yes, I'm already shopping for fall...but it was only $.50!) : )

Dawn said...

sound like a great challenge... but no flip-flops? i'll have to go check it out... but no flip-flops? really???