Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Learning to be grateful...


I hope we are teaching our children to be grateful. We are trying. Last week Moose had a birthday party, and we are having him send Thank You notes to those who brought him a gift. It's something The Bob and I are serious about. Thank You notes, that is. We are serious about sending Thank You notes. Moose feels like it's torture. He hates to write. He is thankful for his gifts, but he does not see a need to hand write everyone a note. He'd rather give thanks in person. But in the day of high technology, there is something wonderful about a handwritten note. It says you took time. It says you were mindful and thoughtful. Really, don't you just love to get a handwritten note or letter from someone in the mail? I do.

I don't think I've always had an attitude that was as grateful as it should have been. No, I know I didn't. Especially in my teens and twenties. I think those are days that many young adults are completely absorbed with self. At least I was. Since then and over time, I have learned to be thankful and grateful for what others do. I have even gone back and written a couple of people who I never properly thanked or told them how much their love and support meant. People need to hear that...even if it's years later than it should have been.

So, I hope I teach my children to be grateful and thankful along the way. In doing so, they will not only find an attitude of gratitude, but also an attitude of humility.

3 comments:

Daisy said...

ITA!! My son isn't too thrilled at having to write that much either. We often do one or two cards a day until we finish.

At Christmas, we all sit down together (even Dad) and do thank you cards the day after Christmas.

I love thank you cards and they help put the focus on gratitude instead of greeditude. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Good for you Momma! I so believe in hand written thank yous. It's a must at my house and my kids know it too. Jesse had quite a few to write these last few weeks. After his graduation he had so much to be thankful for. Just one day they will look back and thank us "one day " that is..hehe. take care

Dawn said...

oh yes, good for you! i am not the best at making my kids write notes... i must admit it. i wish i was better. i am getting there though... because i do believe it its important! and i love handwritten :) i love the tales a person's swirling letters tell- and that i can usualy tell who it's from before i even see the name!